Friday, July 29, 2011

Cowboys & Aliens 2011

I give this movie a strong 4.2 out of 5 and about an 80% on RT although if I could I would give it like an 88%. This movie is pure summer entertainment, so grab some corn and some beverages and sit back to enjoy a movie like no other, really like no other. I have never seen a combination and blending of two drastically different genres, and here lye's the rub, Jon Favreau does a wonderful job with it. Many have tried before to do something as such with the western and have failed miserably, for example look at the train wreck that was Wild Wild West. From the moment the film starts I was and you will be sucked into it immediately wondering whats going on, who is this guy, and where is he going and you cant wait to find out the mysteries surrounding this person. Now The premise here is that of a simple western story and a motif that has been hit so many times in the genre, an old an familiar western story and feel. Then there is the Story of the Aliens which is also a very traditional take on an alien film in the Sci Fi genre. By themselves they are both not too spectacular, however when you blend them together you get something you have truly never seen and it is quite a treat. The acting is pretty solid, you get a traditional but solid performance of what we expect to get out of Harrison Ford. It also boggles my mind how great of shape he has stayed in and how great he looks for a dude that is getting up there in age. You also have a strong performance from Daniel Craig, he struggles with hiding his accent sometimes but it is rare and most people will not even notice, and overall he lends himself quite well to the western settings. The beautiful and talented Olivia Wilde rounds out the cast and she was wonderful to watch as always both with her acting and her looks. There is one scene where it focuses in on her bright green eyes and they were one of the most beautiful sights mine eyes have ever seen. Finally that brings me to a personal favorite of mine and a bonus to the already solid cast and that is what Jon Favreau refers to as his "secret weapon" Sam Rockwell. Rockwell is a treat in everything I have ever watched him in and this film is no exception. That brings me to the overall look of the film, it's great! Beautiful landscapes mixed with cool Alien effects but old west alien effects. I know that sounds weird but when you see it you will know. I really did not know what to expect when I saw this other than I knew I loved westerns and I knew I loved Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, i mean they play two of the most Iconic film characters of all time so seeing them do their thing together was quite a treat. This movie is not the greatest thing you will ever see but it damn sure will entertain you and keep entertaining you through multiple viewings because the movie is just plain fun. Grab some tickets to this flick with ease and enjoy an experiment with film genres gone right. This is not just a great summer flick, its just a plain ol' fashioned good movie.

2 comments:

  1. I must say this is possibly the best movie i have seen this year. Easily better than captain america, more badass than battle: LA, cooler than thor, poops on harry potter. Overall this movie never dulls. While the action is simply amazing, i couldnt help but fall in love with Ms. Wilde.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard not to be taken with her beauty! I agree it was also one of my very favorite movies of the year. The Blu-ray quality is even better than that in the theatre, it looks and sounds incredible! I have seen this film at least 3 times now and I never get tired of watching and it manages to entertain me again and again. I'm glad you also enjoyed this film as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete