Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Thor Blu-Ray (2011)

"Whoever wields this Blu-Ray, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."


I rate the movie a 4 out of 5 stars and an 80% on RT, I rate the Blu-Ray Video quality a 5 out of 5 Stars and the 7.1 DTS Master Audio a 5 out of 5.

Thor was another one of my favorite movie releases of the year thus far. I had been waiting for Thor for a while before it hit theatres in May and when I saw it, it was the first comic book movie I had seen all year and the first real movie kicking off the Summer movie season. Needless to say I was ready for it and for me it really delivered the goods. There are a lot of people out there who did not care for this movie for various reasons. Weather it be problems with the script or the acting, I did not have those problems. I took this movie at what it was and that was a comic book movie, so I did not expect an Oscar caliber script or anything, I went in expecting to have fun and that is what I had. So much fun I had that I saw this three times in the theatre, twice regular and once in IMAX. The IMAX is still the best overall theatre going experience I have ever had. The movie isn't perfect, its far from it, but I find it to be better than most comic book movies and I think its a lot of fun to watch. It's different than other comic films, what I mean by that is it takes itself pretty seriously and that is where I think some people had problems with it. The Movie is directed by Kenneth Brannah who loves his Shakespeare and I think he tried to bring in a bit of that Shakespearean element and I can see in some instances where he succeeded and I can see some spots where it failed in its attempt. But enough about the movie and what it did right and what it did wrong, you know where I stand on it and if you go into it expecting to have fun and watch a good story your really going to enjoy it. If you go in expecting it to be Hamlet or something you might leave a bit disappointed.

This movie from a Blu-Ray standpoint is incredible. Many times during the viewing of this disc I found myself rewinding scenes just to re watch them again in all their high def glory. From start to finish the picture quality of this disc will leave you gap jawed in amazement. Especially the first 30 mins of the film and all of the Asgard scenes with their warm and almost glowing color tones to the cool look and feel of Jotunheim the realm of the frost giants all the way to the nice crisp clean images of Earth, they all look stunning! The Audio on this disc is just as good if not better than the picture, this disc contains a 7.1 DTS Master audio track that brings the Thunder (see what I did there) This track is loud and proud and fires on every speaker, the dialogue is crisp and your sub woofer will flex to the max. Your rear and mid speakers will be particularly aggressive as well. When I watched this sounds came at me from every direction and was one of the better audio tracks I have heard. Only a few I have heard have sounded better. There are some special feature that add up to about 2 hours or so maybe a bit more. There are 7 featurettes and a couple of trailers and a quick look at The Avengers (which was awesome but way to short) and then another video helping you tie together various though lines between all of the films that led up to the upcoming Avengers film. Not too shabby a pack of supplements, not enough to overwhelm you but enough to keep you busy. This disc is a really easy recommendation to almost everyone, unless you don't like comic book movies this movie is very enjoyable and fun. Fans of Thor should immediately add this to their collection as it is a pretty decent way to introduce a beloved comic character to the big screen. So for Comic and Thor fans this disc is a must buy. The blu-ray from a tech standpoint is damn near flawless and it makes for a very enjoyable home movie experience. This movie is a popcorn flick in just about every way so grab some corn and beverage and settle in for one awesome blu-ray experience!   Highly & easily recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment