Saturday, September 10, 2011

Contagion 2011

I give this movie 3 borderline 3.5 out of 5 stars and a 60% on RT although if I could I would have given it about a 67%


Let me start by saying that Contagion is not a bad movie, it's really not. The problem is it just has some hampering flaws from letting it be a truly great movie. If you check the other reviews they are all fair to pretty good and I cant argue that it is not a decent movie, but this is the important part and that is it is worth your movie monies to go out and see it. The answer to that is a resounding no! I went last night and dropped my 30 bucks for two tickets a drink and some corn and that was the standard 30 dollars which I normally do not mind plunking down. However when the movie does not pay off I get a bit of buyers remorse and that is what happened with this movie. It drew me I mean hey whats not to like its got a decent story an Oscar nominated director and a Jam packed star studded cast whom most of were nominated for Oscars as well. So whats not to like about the idea of going to see it in the theater with all that going for it, well I tell you. The opening of the movie was great I was drawn in immediately, things were happening and I was thinking alright I love the start and lets get settled and that's what happened after the opening, the movie settled, settled a little too much. I love watching the drama unfold but where they falter a bit here is what they were going for is what they got, they wanted to be very technical in discussing the virus, and spreading rate and such. So much at times I felt like I was in math class. That may be a bit extreme but my point is that was a lot of the technical dialogue was very boring to watch, even with a great actress such as Kate Winslet. There were too many lulls in between the stuff you really wanted to see. So after a bit of the bore fest they try to spice it up again by showing more of the virus and such. That being said I am sure that anyone who works for the CDC (Center for Disease Control) would love it as it felt very authentic for a movie. The acting in this movie was great though and there were many familiar faces in the film and all of them turn in pretty solid performance. That was the movies saving grace was the performances were good, especially Matt Damon who is one of my very favorite actors to watch, and the story was good enough to keep your interest, when you could actually see the affects of the virus, not when they talk about it. The cinematography is cool with the empty city shots but its nothing new or better than we have seen before in these types of movies. I am Legend is still the staple to me for an empty city shot. Overall that was the problem with the film and that was it never really delivered for me or the person I was with. We just kept waiting for something more serious to happen and it never did and then it was over, very abruptly. I like they way you find out what the virus is and they way they handle showing the spread of it, I thought it was probably the best thing about the movie and again the true back story was only handed out in doses but the pay off is nice. I don't usually like to re hash plot points in the reviews because I feel audiences need to have a sense of wonder before going to see some movies and this movie is no different. In the end as I said before in the first sentence and that is that Contagion is not really a bad movie its actually a decent movie however this movie is a rental in the truest since of the word. Plan on seeing it, but you should really try to wait, in retrospect I wish I would have but the allure Drew me in so I write this review to tell you the same, unless you dying to see it (see what I did there) Plan on saving the 15 to 30 dollars and wait till the Blu-ray hits and give it a rent. Because for the right price it it an enjoyable film, just not really a great theatre experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment